Energy Performance Certificates

 Specialist letting agent in Leeds

EPC (Energy Performance Certificates) have been introduced to help improve the energy efficiency of buildings. If you are buying or selling a home you now need a certificate by law. The certificate provides 'A' to 'G' ratings for the building, with 'A' being the most energy efficient and 'G' being the least, with the average now being up to ´D´.

EPC is important because nearly 50 per cent of the UK's energy consumption and carbon emissions arise from the way our buildings are lit, heated and used. Even comparatively minor changes in energy performance and the way we use each building will have a significant effect in reducing energy consumption. It is a legal requirement for all properties to have an EPC from a certified Energy Assessor before it is let. With a panel of Domestic Energy Assessors (DEA) working with Yorkshire Property Lettings, we'll be able to ensure you get your EPC's done by a local Energy Assessor. This means you will have a stress-free solution to the issue of arranging EPCs for properties you wish to let.

Gas & Electricity Check

It is important to make sure that properties are safe to live in. It is a legal obligation for every landlord to make sure their property has all the safety checks done before letting. Each gas and electrical appliance and installation in UK rented accommodation should be checked and certified safe. In the event of an accident you must be able to prove that all appliances have had an inspection and are classified safe. The only way you can be absolutely sure they are safe is to subject each appliance to gas and electrical safety checks in order to get them certificated with both an electrical and gas safety certificate (CP12) issued by one of Yorkshire Property Lettings’ qualified and certified engineers. Yorkshire Property Lettings are happy for landlords to use their own qualified assessors to provide a gas & electricity safety certificate provided these certificates are issued by a technician registered with the The Gas Safe Register. The Gas Safe Register superseded CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) as the sole legally recognised gas safety register in the UK on 1st April 2009. Certificates are valid for a year from the date they are issued. Landlords must have annual inspections for gas installations, and appliances in rented accommodation must be checked and certified safe. Penalties for infringement can be severe.

Number ONE Estate agent in Leeds city centre.

Not only can you be fined for not having proved that each appliance is safe, you can also be fined for causing carbon monoxide poisoning in the event of a defective gas appliance. Landlords cannot ignore their liability for death or personal injury resulting from negligence. Gas installations can leak deadly carbon monoxide (CO), which is undetectable: you can't see it, smell it or even taste it but it could cause injury or death.

Electrical certificates: Landlord electrical certificates are another important part of ensuring the safety of your tenants and being able to prove that you have taken reasonable steps to do so. All electrical certification should be carried out by an electrician whom is registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installers and Contractors (NICEIC).

There are two types of electrical certificate:
Periodic Inspection Report (PIR): It is advisable to have a full electrical inspection carried out every five years. This examination investigates the state of the electrical wiring throughout the property and thoroughly checks the safety of the electrical installation.
Portable Appliance Testing (PAT): It is also advisable to instruct an electrician to carry out PAT testing on all portable electrical appliances once a year. Portable electrical appliances are defined as any appliances that you supply with the property that can be plugged into the mains electricity (for example lamps, microwaves, portable electric heaters, TV etc.). The purpose of the PAT is to ensure that all portable electrical items provided with the property are electrically safe. The team with Yorkshire Property Lettings can arrange for gas and electrical safety checks designed to ensure you do not fall foul of the relevant legislation. For more details please call one of our staff who will help you ensure your property is safe and meets all the legal requirements.

Rent Guarantee

 Specialist letting agent in Leeds

It's never been more important to make sure our landlord's rental income is safe.

  • Sometimes even the tenants with the best references fail to pay the rent through circumstances beyond their control, such as rendundancy or relationship breakdown.
  • Rent Guarantee is designed to protect you, providing peace of mind to you and your client.
  • Homelet offers Rent Guarantee products along with Legal Expenses cover to obtain vacant possession of your property in the event that your tenant fails to pay the rent.

Yorkshire Property Lettings can provide information on rent guarantee for our landlords' peace of mind. Please contact one of our staff for more information.


Yorkshire Property Lettings can help both landlords and tenants in obtaining a tailored insurance to suit their needs for complete peace of mind
Insurance for Landlords Yorkshire Property Lettings can provide information on comprehensive buildings and contents insurance, which not only protects you against all eventualities. In addition, the insurance we can provide gives information on a lot more besides, including 90 day cover when your property is empty and loss of rent and re-letting costs. We also provide information insurance for landlords with a large portfolio. This helps to significantly reduce cost of insurance. We can provide information for portfolio landlords so all your properties to be insured with one renewal date!
Insurance for Tenants Our landlords' own insurance won't cover the tenant if you accidentally damage their property, and it definitely won't cover you if your own belongings are damaged or stolen from your home. That's why you may wish to consider a home contents insurance policy specifically for tenants. The last thing you need after an accident, burglary, fire or flood is a mounting bill for the things you take for granted. Don't get caught out, contact our staff for more information.

Number ONE Estate agent in Leeds city centre.

If you are interested in selling your property.